Are you continually getting passed over for promotion? Are you tired of seeing your colleagues rise the career ladder, while you stagnate near the bottom? Do you raise a fist at the universe and holler at it for not giving you a chance? If you have answered 'yes' to any of these questions, then it's time to be proactive. To boost your career, read this article with our five tips you can do today to improve your promotion chances.
1. Brainstorm. Give yourself some space to think about your specific situation and what tangible steps can move you forward. You will find some suggestions in this article to help you, but you might be able to think of specifics that are relevant to you. Write your ideas down, reflect on what you need to do, and then act upon them - sooner, rather than later!
2. Book a meeting with your boss. Pick up the phone, send them an email, or if you're currently at work, wander over to their office and knock on the door. Let them know that you want to speak to them, and outline the reason why. And the reason being, of course, is to talk about your promotion chances. If they have previously passed you over for promotion, this is your opportunity to ask why. This is also your opportunity to ask them for advice moving forward. And this might also be your chance to actively ask for a promotion, but there are do's and don'ts you need to adhere to, so read the linked article for some useful advice.
3. Research training courses and qualifications. Do you have the skills and qualifications needed for a promotion? Especially when trying to move into an area that offers differences to your current position, you will need to learn the relevant skills and gain the appropriate pieces of knowledge to prove your effectiveness. Certain courses are designed for working professionals in mind, so you don't have to take a break from work to earn new credentials. I got my MBA while going to school on the weekends. Other options include Carson-Newman's online RN-BSN degree program for those in the nursing profession and can be completed at home. Are there similar courses within your profession? You might also consider leadership training, especially if you are looking for a managerial position. Go online and do your research. And considering our next point, you might want to take up any offers of training courses that your boss makes available to you. By doing so, you will both learn new skills and improve your promotion chances.
4. Say yes! 'Yes' is only a small word, but it can open up so many opportunities for you, not least when it comes to getting a promotion. When reasonable, say 'yes' when your boss asks you to attend a training course, as that will show your willingness to learn. Say 'yes' when your boss asks you to work overtime, as that will show your willingness to go the extra mile within your company. And say 'yes' when your boss asks you to do something that isn't in your job description, as that will show your willingness to try something new. In all instances, you will impress your boss with your commitment in the workplace, and this might give them the incentive to give you that promotion. Therefore, spend more time saying 'yes' than 'no' today.
5. Do your job well. Whatever you do today, do it to the best of your ability. If you miss deadlines, turn in shoddy work, and make little attempt to work on your weaknesses, your boss will, in all likelihood, skip over you the next time it comes to choose somebody for a promotion. Therefore, work hard. Avoid office gossip and other distractions. Ask for help if you need to get better at something. And make quality your focus. By doing so, your boss will (eventually) see the effort you have made to perform well within your position, and might then give you that step up you need to move up the career ladder.
We can't guarantee you a promotion, but by taking proactive steps to help yourself today, you will increase your chances. Let us know what you think, and please share your ideas with us too!
Leave a Reply.
M.E.L. is an attorney and small business entrepreneur whose mission is to help professionals conquer the workaday world with style and poise.
POPULAR BLOG POSTS
POPULAR YOUTUBE PLAYLISTS
FOLLOW POLISHED PROFESSIONALS AT
Last Minute Gift Guide