"I want to get away - I want to fly away....ayyyy...ayyyy"! Thanks for the inspo Lenny Kravitz, But, what in the world do you pack for a last minute summer getaway? Thinking too hard about it ruins all the fun of a spontaneous trip. Never fear, we have a complete packing list that will have you ready to go on any last minute adventure and we promise it will all fit in your carry on!
Let the packing begin! We have each of our picks below - just click on the pictures to be taken to each item!
1) Tops - I always stick with a single palette when I pack for a trip. It makes deciding what to put in my back so much easier and helps my eye go to the right things in my closet. I will say I am usually not too adventurous in my color palette and usually stick to black as my base color because if I spill something it doesn't show and it does go with EVERYTHING. So usually I have some basic long sleeve tees and button downs that I pack for all my trips because they act as sun protection if I need it and are perfect for layering if I am heading to a colder climate. They are also easily dressed up with the accessories below and can go from day to night. If its a work trip, I will try to bring at least one blazer/jacket because they add polish to any look. I bring something relatively packable (read does not wrinkle) that can be mixed and matched with other pieces in my bag. A cotton stretch blazer, tweed jacket or leather/suede coat may be a good options.
2) Bottoms - Sticking to my single palette, I will add in a pair of black jeans because they can easily be dressed up or down, a pair of regular jeans or jean shorts that go with everything. If the last minute trip is for work, I usually add in a black pencil skirt to be mixed and matched with my other picks.
3) Dresses - I usually try to bring a shorter/knee length dress and a maxi dress. And yes, they follow the same palette - usually a black dress or neutral colored dress that does not wrinkle and can be taken from day to night with the shoes and accessories we list below. Dresses can also double as a beach coverup if you don't mind them getting a little sandy!
4) Other clothing essentials - It would not be a complete packing list if I didn't at least mention these! Pack your socks or tights if you want some extra layers, underwear, pajamas, bras (including sports bra), gym attire and a bathing suit...you never know what cool hot tub your hotel may have!
1) Oversized Scarf - Pick a neutral color and always add an oversized scarf to your packing list. It can double as a pillow on the plane, keep you warm in a cool restaurant, and can also be used as its own wardrobe staple - think beach sarong to midi skirt to mini dress!
2) Hats - Do not forget your hats! No one wants to spend all their vacation fixing their hair so we love wearing a big hat on the plane and then packing an extra baseball cap for a more casual look.
3) Adornment - I try to remember to throw in some of a my favorite costume jewelry. I don't like traveling with expensive jewelry but some bigger pieces and good layering pieces help elevate the basics that I pack for clothes. I also try to bring at least one belt that can help pull together any look - whether it's belting a dress or adding some polish to my denim. It's an easily packable accessory.
1) Beach and Day Shoes - I always pack a thin pair of metallic flip flops. Somehow they just elevate the usual flip flop look and work to go out to a reasonably nice restaurant. Plus if you need shoes for walking around a hotel they double as a slipper for going to grab some late night snacks.
2) Evening/Dressier Shoes - I add in a pair of wedges or clogs for something a little more dressy. But I rarely bring a heel (unless its Vegas and then...well....you get your glam on!). No one wants to wear any shoes that remotely close to uncomfortable on a getaway - even if it's for work - so I stick to wedges even then. Plus you are always walking on a getaway so make it easy on yourself - go with something comfy enough heel that you can motor around all day without any bandaids needed!
3) Kicks - Finally I add in a cute pair of kicks that can double as a pair of gym shoes and walking around shoes. Plus metallic and white dad kicks are all the rage right now so you will be totally en vogue on whatever streets you may hit!
For each of our packing list items, you can click on the pictures below to be taken to each product. Use the arrows to scroll right and left. Did we forget anything? Tell us in the comments so we can all be ready to getaway!
M.E.L. is an attorney and small business entrepreneur whose mission is to help professionals conquer the workaday world with style and poise.
POPULAR BLOG POSTS
POPULAR YOUTUBE PLAYLISTS
FOLLOW POLISHED PROFESSIONALS AT
DESIGNER BAG DUPES
STARTING AT JUST $10