So today begins the second year of Polished Professionals blog. What a ride this first year has been. I never thought in one year I would learn so many new things about myself and social media. I like reflecting on what I have learned so I thought I would write down a few of things that have made the biggest impression on me in this first year of Polished Professionals.
1) Know Yourself - When I first started my blog I was pretty aimless. I wanted to express myself and give my thoughts on women in the corporate world. But I was not sure how to do it. The things that worked for me was finding my voice on social media. You cannot be all things to all people. Some people will like your style or find value in your blog and others will no and that is ok. So for me, I write about what I know. After 15 years of practicing as an attorney in firms and businesses, I know the workplace, business wardrobe essentials, and modern professional etiquette. It gives someone a reason to stop by my blog if that is what they want to know about.
2) Quality Counts - I will admit I did not think "blogging" was a job. I thought it was so easy and there is no way people could say that was their profession. The short response - I was wrong wrong wrong. It is so much work to do it right. I was initially pretty lazy about my posts and did not really know how much work it was to get people to notice your site. But it takes a lot of work to do it right. You need quality pictures. Instagram and other social media is tough to stand out and with so many other instagirls and instaguys out there. You need quality posts and thoughts that are consistent with your brand. It takes thought and planning to make your page look coherent. I have so much more to learn on this but point but I will keep trying each day to bring quality content to this site.
3) Engagement Matters - I think in order to find really meaningful connections social media you have to interact. You have to invest the time responding to comments and commenting on others. That is how you know what matters to others. It also makes it more fun. And I will tell the encouragement I receive is overwhelming. I feel so lucky to have met so many amazing people from across the globe. It is also the way that growth happens. People want to know you are interested in them so be real, authentic and encouraging. I think everyone can use more of that these days!
4) Insta for All - I thought because I was not a skinny model no one would accept me as a person they wanted to follow on social media. But what I found is that social media is for all of us. I love that. There are bloggers for all - petite, tall, slim, midsize, plus size, vegans, bacon lovers...you get the point. All of us can find something that resonates with us on social media. I think people just want to see real people and how they wear things and what they do each day. It's not about putting together the perfect picture to be on the cover of a magazine. And isn't that just so refreshing?
5) Up My Fashion Game - I have loved being a part of social media because it has made me up my fashion game. Not in the sense that I need to buy so many new things. But, that I have to think about how I put my outfit together. Not so much sweatpants and t-shirts. But put on that extra layering piece and add the necklace. It just makes me think a little more about my outward presentation and I think that has had a positive impact on the way people view me - as someone put together. So for that - I am grateful for the other inspiration that my social media family gives me each day.
So we officially start year 2 today. Thank you so much for all your support this past year! I am honored to have met such amazing people across the globe - just because of social media! What a joy. I want to keep improving this site so if there is something you have liked let me know. Something more you want to see, tell me! Polished Professionals is here to help business women conquer this workaday world with style and poise so just ask!
I have rounded up a few of my favorite looks from this past year. Just use arrows to be taken directly to these pieces. And thanks again!!
M.E.L. is an attorney and small business entrepreneur whose mission is to help professionals conquer the workaday world with style and poise.
POPULAR BLOG POSTS
POPULAR YOUTUBE PLAYLISTS
FOLLOW POLISHED PROFESSIONALS AT
Last Minute Gift Guide