So I recently got some super sweet compliments on my hair in these shots. Thank you so much for the kind words. It meant so much because I had actually styled my hair myself.
But I have a dirty confession....
My hair had not been washed in 3 days in these pictures. I know that may sound crazy but I finally found out that my oh so ultra fine locks don't do well the day I wash it. Smoothing products and conditioners I thought were my answer were part of the problem. I finally found out that I need to be adding texture to my hair so that it could hold styles and curls - even on the first day of a wash. I learned this thanks to a great stylist I recently had at the Dry Bar.
So here are the details of what I have been doing recently and I have been loving my new do ever since. I hope some of these helps my sisters with thin, fine hair like mine get some great styling results!
1) Don't overdo it on smoothing shampoos and conditioners. Fine hair does not do well when it is weighed down. I don't know why it took me 40 years to figure this out. I have liked using this product for washing (on the few days that I actually wash it).
2) Add texture to my fine hair. I add this product immediately after washing. It puts a little grit into my locks to hold in whatever style I am going for. I use this mostly everywhere but my roots. And a little goes a long way!
3) Add volume! This product has been fabulous and I don't say that just because it has the word Texas in the title of it. I use this pretty liberally on my roots prior to blowdrying.
4) I believe in a good brush. I know this brush is expensive but it is so so so worth it. It is made specifically for fine hair. And let's just say it is a brush with a patent on it! it works that well. It really adds volume and shine to my limp locks.
5) Use a hairspray with some movement. I don't like a too strong spray when my hair is down but I do need some help holding in the curl in this Texas humidity so I use this flexible hold hair spray (and the scent is divine!).
6) Dry Shampoo/dry stylings products for days 2-???? So yes I sometimes go a while without a wash. But you can keep fresh looking locks with these products. I had erroneously been using a dry conditioner. It was not that the dry conditioner was bad it was that it was meant to soften hair - which my fine hair does not need. So I have been using this dry shampoo and this dry styling spray to keep my hair fresh, non greasy and holding my style for days.
I have put each of these products and the tools I have been using below. Just click on the pics to be taken directly to each product!
M.E.L. is an attorney and small business entrepreneur whose mission is to help professionals conquer the workaday world with style and poise.
WINTER BEAUTY PRODUCTS BELOW